DEMAND FOR DATA SCIENTISTS
The global research and advisory firm Gartner states the need for data scientists is growing at about three times those for statisticians and business intelligence analysts, particularly in the fields of:
- Banking and Credit Unions
- Construction and A/E
You’ll be exposed to the tools a successful data scientist uses every day including programming, Python for statistical analysis, data management, and data visualization. Besides these technical skills, you’ll also learn essential soft skills such as effective data storytelling and working within your office to nurture a culture of data discovery.
This course is intended for people with little to no background in data analysis or computer programming, although a general familiarity with statistics and general tech competency are assumed. This certificate is designed for someone with tenacity and a general aptitude for learning. A love of problem-solving is a must for this profession. A Bachelor’s degree in IT, Science, or Business is recommended but not required.
Students are required to supply their own Mac or Windows laptop running the newest version of OS (Sierra) or Windows 8 or higher, respectively. It must have 2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended) as well as 3.2 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices). You can purchase a Mac laptop here. Let us know if you have questions.
This certificate will teach some of the most important techniques and tools necessary to introduce data science into company culture; get necessary political buy-in; find, manipulate, and analyze the data present inside your company’s database; make predictions of outcomes; and create visualizations that can help non-technical users understand and see the identified trends and patterns inside the data.
The certificate program meets 2 nights per week for 24 weeks over the course of 35 weeks for a total of 156 hours of in-class instruction to complete the certificate. Individual modules may also be taken separately.
The Certificate consists of 6 modules:
2018 – Winter 2019 Schedule
- Introduction to Data Science: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: July 11 – August 6, 2018
- Data Manipulation and Management: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: August 15 – September 12, 2018
- Basic Model Building: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: September 26 – October 22, 2018
- Mathematics of Model Evaluation: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: November 5 – December 3, 2018
- Python and Advanced Data Modeling: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: Jan 7 – February 4, 2019
- Data Visualization using Tableau: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: February 13 – March 11, 2019
- Introduction to Data Science: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: January 14 – February 4, 2019
- Data Manipulation and Management: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: February 18 – March 13, 2019
- Basic Model Building: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: March 25 – April 22, 2019
- Mathematics of Model Evaluation: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: May 6 – June 3, 2018
- Python and Advanced Data Modeling: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: June 10 – July 3, 2019
- Data Visualization using Tableau: 4 weeks | $3,500. Dates: July 15 – August 7, 2019